Although the task undertaken by the previous MEDFOREX program improved cooperation among research institutions and individual researchers interested in the topics at hand, there is still much room for the enlargement of the network (see Consortium) and for strengthening the links with other international organizations. One example is the Silva Mediterranea program of FAO. Another is the International Association for Mediterranean Forests (AIMF). Also, the partnership with the EU accessory countries from the Mediterranean area and beyond the European side of the basin will be stressed.
One of the main tasks within this objective will be to organize meetings and prepare reports for the potential end-users of the project results. The contacts with end-users established during the IMACFORD project will be used to disseminate results among policy makers, forest managers, environmental and social NGOs as well as other National and International bodies.
A Memorandum of Understanding was signed between FAO and CTFC in November 2006. The MoU aims at reinforcing the collaboration between both institutions. Closer co-operation with FAO is expected to improve the dissemination of MEDFOREX results among policy makers and the Mediterranean forestry community in general.
Specific objectives are:
• To incorporate more countries in the MEDFOREX network
• To exchange scientists for training among MEDFOREX participants
• To strengthen the links with other International Organizations
• To establish a web-based database of values, references, and other relevant information
• To identify and use other tools for the dissemination of results